School does little to prepare us for being in a service industry. Learning to please the aesthetics of your peers, professors and yourself above all is no longer an option. Now you must meet the unreasonable deadline, maintain the budget while selecting on the most beautiful option, create a friendly relationship with the salty contractor...the reward? A building ready for the glossy pages of a magazine and a pat on the back.
Do I sound bitter? Maybe a little. But I love my job. And I know I am lucky to have it.
More fun: Here are some images of the issues in the current house I'm working on. Luckily none of these are my fault, just the result of selecting the contractor with the lowest bid. Architects beware.

4 comments:
You're hired.
We DO have so much to learn; it's almost frustrating. It looks like you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing!
I'm picking up what you're putting down. I almost think it's more fun though. More constraints = better design solutions.
every constaint in the book leaves little wiggle room. but maybe i need to be trying a bit harder...the process has taught me many things to carry over into the next project. most of all foresight...seeing potential problems before the client...that one will be a life long goal.
Post a Comment