29 September 2008

is this modern?

Lately modern-day "modernist" architects seem to be headed a quite different direction than their forefathers. Part of me is a bit sad to say I ascribe to modernism when it is aligned with architects who "rejuvenate" a historical building, only to completely hide the original intent of the building - why bother "saving" the original building at all? Especially and more specifically when the original building had a beautiful character of its own.

The new MAD building in NYC is just one example.

3 comments:

tessarh said...

I admired pictures of this building, but was naive to realize that it wasn't new construction. This is sad! I wonder if this type of 'modernist skinning' will eventually become the equivalent of what wood paneling was to the 60s/70s. :)

Jess said...

Tessa - I completely agree. On it's own the new building made sense, but not in the context of the structure it is hiding. Hopefully, like wood panelling, it can be removed someday to truly revive the original building!

bkroll said...

yep...very expensive wood panelling.