12 May 2008

chai mishap

Another pregnancy story to share (it's great to have people tell you pregnancy makes you clumsy or forgetful. . .because surely I would never have done this if I were not pregnant. . .then again, I probably would). Lately my chai intake has been limited due to its high sugar content and caffeine. Today, I decided I deserved a splurge. All was well and good; the chai was hot, seemed to have the perfect proportion of milk to chai. . .but then I took a sip. What in the world! It tasted so odd. My first instinct was to blame the coffee shop. This was, after all, my first time trying the chai tea at the local cafe; maybe they were still working out the recipe.

Since my ever changing taste buds seem to play tricks on me (yes, they do change daily for this preggy mama). I decided to instead blame the pregnancy. I then proceeded to enjoy the slightly odd tasting chai latte and go about my business.

By the time I reached the end. . .the typically extra sweet finish, my chai delight had turned into something more like sweaty hands. What had that barista been thinking! Did I give him a dirty look?

No.

No, no. It was no one's fault but my own. Because I remembered trying to add a little kick to my beverage. I considered nutmeg, cinnamon or chocolate. . . Hm, what about vanilla? Big mistake. What I thought was vanilla, turned out to be SALT. Now I have learned my lesson - trust the barista. The local shop definitely deserves another try. . .Sans salt.

3 comments:

allison said...

SALT!? Ha! Bless your heart. Reminds me of the one and only time I tried to make a french silk pie for Erik. We were very newly married (I don't think I was pregnant yet...). Anyways, a french silk pie is fairly involved, meaning, more than just whipping together a few choice ingredients. I had finished mixing, cooking, etc. and tasted it just as I put it in the pie shell. It tasted awful. Then I realized I put in 3/4 cup of salt, not sugar. Oh, the disappointment.

Stephanie said...

Just wait until you put your phone in the fridge.

The O'Connor Family said...

I have not been on your blog in a while!! This salt story is SO FUNNY!!!! I love it! When do you find out the sex?

Hopefully you are home safely.